Monday 18 July 2011

Week 53 - France & Luxembourg

Stunning Strasbourg

Luxembourg City

Vianden Chateau

Vianden from above

Bonjour, Moien,

Back in London now and all ready to rock off to the cradle of civilization - AFRICA!!!

However, we aren't there yet, so let me tell you about my trip to France & Luxembourg last week.

I'm sure most of you know all about France so I'll concentrate on the Alsace region where I traveled. This area has been a constant fight between the French and Germans exchanging hands many times. From the look and feel, its certainly French, however, its German roots are firmly secured in its cuisine. Unfortunately it wasn't the lovely Bavarian cuisine that I am now addicted to! If you have a hankerin for raw-looking pork knuckle or organs, you will love Strasbourg! They have such a bizarre cuisine.

Sunday - Baeckoffe: I arrived in Strasbourg, France before dark and made my way out to enjoy the splendid French architecture. There are only a few countries in the world that give me a great feeling just being there and France is certainly one of them. In typical European fashion, the old town is surrounded by a river and is the center for Strasbourg's history and entertainment. In the center of the old town is the towering Notre Dame cathedral with its cool Gothic architecture. Having had a few late nights in Munich, I was keen on an relaxing time. I managed to weed through a few restaurants not finding any food to my liking, which is impossible in the rest of France and managed to locate the town's specialty - Baeckoffe. The dish is a concoction of several types of meat including potatoes cooked in a wine sauce. Pretty decent food, especially with a glass of Bordeaux, however, they snuck in a pork knuckle...

Luxembourg is one of Europe's smallest countries, although it packs a serious financial punch for its weight. Known as a tax haven, its not surprising to see the numerous expensive German cars flying down its hilly streets. Luxembourg City, its capital is set in a very dramatic setting with numerous peaks and valleys offering a superb view in most areas of the city.

Luxembourgeois is a very bizarre language. At times, I thought it was Russian. The language, to me, does not resemble, French, German or Dutch, despite the proximity of where these languages are spoken, however they do seem to have some of the same words. As you will have seen above and below (next to the French), good morning and goodbye are very unique. If you have a chance, you need to hear this language!

Monday - Plaza de Armes: France was just a short stint and my real excitement was getting to Luxembourg to complete my last European country. My first footstep in Europe was in May 2000, with Rob Glynn in Paris, France and I haven't looked back since. I'm not sure why I left Luxembourg until the last of the 44 countries, but I can say it certainly wouldn't be last in a ranking of interesting places on the continent! I arrived in Luxembourg city by early afternoon and made my way out to see its sights, hoping that if I ticked them off, the next day would be for the countryside. My self-arranged tour took me past the Grand Ducal Palace, Notre Dame cathedral - yes Europe has a few of these things, the castle ruins, and several of its squares. Just as in most South American cities, Luxembourg City has a thriving Plaza de Armes which has numerous outdoor cafes full of post work groups and couples dining.

Tuesday - Vianden Chateau: I woke up early to head out of Lux city and to see the countryside. My first stop was this remote country area near Bourscheid Castle. Due to my comments on the last blog about the ease of travel in Europe, the gods punished me and I spent a good 90 minutes looking for my trail through the Ardennes up to the castle. Only about 40 miles away was the famous Battle of the Bulge. Eventually, I was on my path and hiking up to the castle which is in a state of disrepair, but still showed remnants of its glorious past. The castle dates back one thousand years and allows great views of the surrounding Luxembourg countryside. Later in the day, I took a train and bus to reach the town of Vianden; a pristine European town, featuring a beautifully restored landmark called the Vianden Chateau (however looks like a impressive castle). Besides having an amazing setting in this gorgeous little town, you can walk through the castle and view the rooms in their original state and function. Later that night I went out for dinner and drinks with a few Koreans talking about their travel stories in London and our stories from Korea.

Wednesday - Air France: I had an early flight, waking up at 4:30, nonetheless I made it back to the best wife and best city in the world!

What's next for us - On Thursday we fly out to Tanzania! So we look forward to hitting the beach in Zanzibar and diving it's electric blue waters!

Wish us luck on our next adventure in Africa!

Au Revoir, Addi

No comments:

Post a Comment